Wondering how to deal with people who dislike you? First of all you need to understand it’s humanly not possible to be liked by everybody. If you do something constructive, if you do something different, if you have an opinion, then you are bound to come across people who dislike you. In most of the cases she you shouldn’t bother. But sadly, you sometimes find yourself surrounded by people who dislike you. It might be your classmates, your siblings and relatives, your neighbors or your office colleagues. Since you constantly need to be among them, you somehow need to learn to deal with them.
So how do you deal with people who dislike you?
Here are a few things you can do…
- Find out exactly why they dislike you. It doesn’t mean you try to find countless faults in yourself, it’s just that, sometimes unknowingly we do things that annoy people, or make them dislike us. Be sincere with yourself. We constantly need to change and evolve, whether people like us or dislike us; this is how we grow as humans. If you think there is something that can be changed within you and if you feel it is justified, by all means welcome those changes.
- Become sure of yourself. People who are sure of themselves normally don’t care whether they’re liked or not. People who are different anyway have to fight a lonely battle and they have to strive alone. When they succeed but not only like them, but they also worship them.
- If people don’t like you because of your looks it’s not worth it. Really, do you actually want to be liked for your looks and appearance? People who like others for appearance have a low self-esteem. Appearances are just that, appearances. The world runs on brain power, not looks. Right now it may seem like a big deal, but it’s a very big world and a very long life. People who dislike you or ridicule you for your appearance actually manifest an inferior mentality and they don’t have a bright future.
- Don’t be too conscious. It shows when you are desperate to be liked by people. Just be yourself. If there are people who like Brad Pitt there are also people who like Woody Allen. Have you ever paid attention to what a great fan following Stephen Hawking enjoys? So focus on your true potential and people will only like you but love you too.
- Try to fight dislike with love. You cannot be harsh when your siblings, your kids or your parents seem to dislike you. You can dislike them but then this only doubles the problem. Try to love them. Show them that you care. If they still dislike you, just carry on nurturing your talents so that you can move away from them as soon as you can.
These, of course, are not standard rules. Please share your thoughts and experiences in the comments section.