Image Source: Seth
Note-taking is one of the greatest organizational habits you can develop. They help you organize information and thoughts in a systematic manner so that you can easily retrieve the information in the quickest manner, when needed.
Whether you are preparing a draft, writing a report, working on a journalistic article or attending a meeting or a conference you can take down notes to go through important bits of information at a later stage. Since you find connectivity almost everywhere these days it’s better to use online tools for taking down your notes.
A good thing about taking notes using online note-taking tools is that you can access your notes from wherever you need to, provided you have Internet access. Another benefit is that all online tools and applications are platform independent so whether you are using a Linux, a Windows or a Mac machine, you simply need a browser to access and maintain your notes.
Not just PC, you can also synchronize your notes using smart phones such as iPhone, Windows Mobile, Android and BlackBerry. Almost all mainstream online tools these days give you an interface that you can use with smart handheld devices.
Some very simple ways of taking notes using online tools
- Use email as your note taking tool. If you don’t like intricate noting applications you can simply use your email account. It’s especially easy in Gmail as you can create threaded conversation and its search capabilities are faster too. Whenever you want to create a new note, create a new email, enter all the information you need to enter and email it to yourself. Then you can use labels to organize your notes. If you don’t want your notes to get mixed up with other messages you can create a separate email account just for storing and organizing your notes.
- Use GoogleDocs to create your notes. Using GoogleDocs you not only can create notes by yourself you can also collaborate with others by sharing your notes file. You can maintain a single notes file or you can create different files for different note taking requirements. Again, you can use labels or folders to organize your notes.
- Evernote. It is one of the most advanced note taking application with both offline and online versions. You can download the Evernote application and install it on your desktop. Then you can use the interface to create new notes and organize existing notes. The data automatically gets synchronized with your online account. From web pages to images to videos to simple text you can store everything using Evernote.
- Springpad. More than serious research-based note taking, you may use Springpad to save important bits of information you come across while surfing the Internet. You can do the same thing with Delicious, but it definitely has more features.
- UberNote. UberNote too, like EverNote, is an old online note taking applications. A good thing about this online note taking app is that you can add it as a gadget to your iGoogle page and maintain your notes quickly from there instead of going to the actual websites. Of course you can use other tools like email, Twitter and Facebook accounts and smart phone applications too to maintain your online notes.
- Yahoo! NotePad. It’s an application just like that abandoned Google Notepad, but much better. If you already have a Yahoo! account you can start using this application right away.
Basically there’s a plethora of applications on the Internet that let you take notes online but you should only use reliable services as you are going to store your valuable data there. Are you aware of some more trustworthy online note taking services? Please share them in the comments section.