Blogging in itself is better for your SEO and search engines are known to prefer blogs over regular websites while ranking links. Since there are millions of blogs out there, the competition can be overbearing and no matter how great your blog is, it might be difficult to get better search engine rankings.
Why you need better search engine rankings for your blog
The reasons can be altruistic as well as financial. Why do you publish a blog? You want to share your ideas. You want to share the knowledge you have, the experience you have gained, with as many people as possible. If you want to spread a social or political ideology, you want more and more people to be able to find your blog. If you’re doing something that can benefit people, they should be able to find your blog on various search engines when they are looking for relevant information. This is altruistic.
In commercial terms, the more traffic you get, the better are your business prospects, especially when your business depends on targeted traffic. Whether you are promoting your services through your blog or trying to generate ad revenue, targeted traffic matters.
The problem with search engine algorithms is that they can be easily manipulated no matter what safeguards they implement. People with inferior quality content can still rank well over those producing good content. So you need to outsmart them. Not by some black hat tactics, but following some conventions that are preferred by search engines.
Improving your blog SEO to get more search engine traffic
Here are a few things you can do:
- Use WordPress for blogging: It is the most search engine friendly blogging platform. It has been designed in such a manner that most of your blog posts are automatically search engine optimized. It provides you all the tools and plug-ins that you need to better SEO your blog. So 50% of your job is already done if you start blogging with WordPress or if you switch your existing blog to WordPress.
- Stick to your theme: Blogs are known for their vertical subject focus. Suppose you publish a blog on Internet marketing. All the content is centred around this topic. Eventually you aggregate so much content that it becomes a specialized place for the subject “Internet marketing” and the search engines also begin to reckon that and start writing your blog accordingly.
- Research your keywords: Although you mustn’t obsess too much about keywords, the important ones must be used in order to make it easier for people to find you for the right context. Researching keywords means finding out what keywords people use in order to find the information that you are publishing. Do they use the same vocabulary? Do they use the jargon that you are using on your blog? Do they use the same language? Just imagine, if you are not producing content using the words and expressions used by your targeted audience, how your content is going to show up when they carry out searches using their preferred keywords?
- Fill in the necessary information: Have a well-defined title for your blog posts and make sure that you use your primary keywords inside your title. Using the All-In-One SEO plug-in enter all the details such as the title of your blog post, the description, and the associated keywords. Save your blog post under the appropriate category.
- Use search engine friendly URLs: By default most of the blogging platforms use parameters to create your URLs (for instance, WordPress uses the following format for your URLs, http://yourblog.com/index.php?p=1) that don’t tell much about the nature of your blog post. On the other hand if you use search engine friendly URLs (URLs that use your keywords in a long string attached by either hyphens or underscores).
- Link to older blog posts from your new blog posts: This way it becomes easier for search engine crawlers to access even the very old content.
These are some fundamental things that can help you SEO your blog in such a manner that people can easily find it on different search engines.